LONDON — – The IOC could take further action against eight badminton players disqualified for discrediting their sport by trying to lose. They could even be kicked out of the Olympics entirely.
IOC President Jacques Rogge supported the decision by the international badminton federation to disqualify the four women’s doubles teams from South Korea, China and Indonesia, but he said he could still intervene “if needed.”
“We are in contact with the national Olympic committees to see what action they will take, and then we will decide accordingly,” Rogge said.
Asked whether the International Olympic Committee could take its own action, he said: “That is a possibility if needed.”
While the players have been disqualified from the competition, the IOC has the power to formally expel athletes from the Olympics, strip their accreditations and kick them out of the athletes village.
The IOC could also investigate any team officials, coaches or trainers involved.
Rogge had been at the badminton venue Tuesday but left shortly before the drama unfolded.
The doubles teams – the top-seeded pair from China, two pairs from South Korea and one from Indonesia — deliberately conceded points in an apparent attempt to lose their round-robin matches to secure a more favorable spot in the next round. Fans booed when it become clear they were trying to lose.