COLUMBIA, SC — Seven people, including six USC students, were displaced from their duplex after a Monday morning fire.
The Columbia Fire Department was called at 8:20 a.m. to the fire on the 1100 block of Olympia Avenue, Chief Aubrey Jenkins said. One of the residents told firefighters he first spotted flames in an upstairs bedroom, Jenkins said. The Richland County Fire Marshal's Office later determined that an overloaded power strip in the room caused the fire.
All seven residents escaped without injuries, and no firefighters were hurt, Jenkins said. It took just under an hour to get the fire under control.
The blaze burned through the roof causing about $200,000 in damages. The Red Cross was called to help the seven residents find alternative housing, clothes and food.
Reach Phillips at (803) 771-8307.