RICHLAND COUNTY, SCThe firefighters who saved two children from a burning northeast Richland County home Dec. 11 have been honored by Columbia-Richland Fire Department Chief Aubrey Jenkins.
Jenkins recognized the 27 firefighters who responded to the Deer Pass Way Home and two emergency dispatchers for their efforts in pulling the kids from the home’s second floor.
“This was a team effort and I am very proud of each of them for what they did and continue to do every day for the citizens of the city of Columbia and Richland County,” Jenkins said.
The firefighters responded to the fire about 4 p.m. Dec. 11 and learned that there were two children were trapped in an upstairs bedroom, and their mother couldn’t get out.
The firefighters pulled the children from the home and quickly put out the blaze, which was caused by unattended cooking.
Both children, their mother and two other kids were taken to the hospital. The home sustained about $20,000 in damages.