• Luke Kennard of Franklin (Ohio) showed why he’s considered one of the top sophomores in the country by pouring in 43 points in an 86-77 loss to Orem (Utah). He hit 13 of 24 shots from the field, including 5 of 7 from behind the arc, and 12 of 13 free throws. He chipped in nine rebounds and three assists for good measure.
• Orem (Utah) Coach Golden Holt certainly knows the five best players on his team. The five Orem starters all scored in double figures and combined to score 84 of the team’s 86 points in a win over Franklin (Ohio). Zach Hunsaker led Orem with 21 points.
• Whitney Young 6-11 star Jahlil Okafor took a jump shot attempt off the hands of Scott County 6-3 junior Tony Martini at the foul-line elbow and threw an outlet pass that led to an open 3-point attempt at the other end in a semifinal contest.
Game of the day
• In the back-and-forth battle between the Orem and Franklin, the score was tied 11 times and the lead changed hands nine times. Both teams shot 50 percent or better from the field and Orem pulled away late for an 86-77 win.
On the horizon
• The Beach Ball’s always popular dunk and 3-point shooting contests will begin at 7 p.m. Sunday. The championship game between Whitney Young (Ill.) and Bishop O’Connell (Va.) is set for 7:30 p.m. Monday.
By Alan Blondin, email@example.com and
Max McKinnon, firstname.lastname@example.org