Fire displaces four in north Columbia neighborhood

January 26, 2013 

— Four people have been displaced after a fire broke out at their home in a north Columbia neighborhood in the early morning hours Saturday.

Two adults and two children were at the home on Pineneedle Road, near Duke Avenue and Monticello Road, when the fire started around 5:30 a.m. Saturday, Columbia-Richland Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis said.

Firefighters arriving on the scene had the fire under control by 6:15 a.m., Lewis said. The fire is believed to have started from unattended cooking, he said.

The home was completely destroyed. Investigators estimate damages at $75,000.

The Red Cross is providing assistance.

Mindy Lucas

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service