A South Carolina military page on The State Media Co.’s website has won top honors for digital innovation from The McClatchy Co.
The SC Military Page – developed and maintained by newsroom staffers Jeff Wilkinson, Kelly Davis and Kristy Eppley Rupon – received a 2012 McClatchy President’s Award. McClatchy is the nation’s third-largest newspaper company, with 30 publications from Miami to Anchorage, including South Carolina newspapers in Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, Hilton Head and Beaufort.
Located at thestate.com/military, the web page was launched last year to address the information needs of South Carolina’s military community. The page is unique in the Palmetto State and offers an array of news, information, images, commentary and news-to-use. Among its features:
• Articles by Wilkinson, who covers military affairs and business for The State
• News from McClatchy journalists in the Carolinas, Washington and overseas
• Coverage of South Carolina’s key military operations, including Fort Jackson, Shaw Air Force Base and the South Carolina National Guard
• Photography and video provided by military organizations from around the globe
• Commentary and opinion about military issues
• Links to dozens of military agencies and organizations
“It’s a one-stop shop for anyone who wants information on the military,” the judges said.
Judges for the McClatchy contest were Susan Goldberg, executive editor at Bloomberg News; Marty Kaiser, editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel; and McClatchy vice president Anders Gyllenhall.
This is the fourth time The State has won a President’s Award.