• At Fark.com: “Pau Gasol has a torn plantar fascia, will miss six weeks of being included in trade rumors.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “Joe Flacco celebrates Super Bowl title with wild night at Applebee’s.”
Bracing for a blitz
Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti says the team plans to erect a statue of polarizing linebacker Ray Lewis outside M&T Bank Stadium.
Local pigeons can’t wait to put a white suit on it.
Cut and run
Vikings running back Adrian Peterson — who nearly broke the NFL rushing record coming off a knee-reconstruction operation — underwent surgery for a sports hernia this week.
Which means he’ll probably run for 2,500 yards next time.
Don’t touch that dial
“Super Bowl XLVII is over,” noted Janice Hough of LeftCoastSports Babe.com. “The Super Bowl XLVIII pregame show starts tomorrow.”
• Brad Rock of Salt Lake City’s Deseret News, after Jose Canseco tweeted “I need to find Manute Bol” — the ex-basketball player who died three years ago: “How come the only thing Canseco seems clued in on is who used steroids?”
• Comedy writer Tim Hunter, after the Ravens QB let drop in his Super Bowl postgame interviews that his wife is pregnant: “For those of you keeping stats at home, that would be another completion.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on news that the world’s most famous circus is cutting jobs: “Quick, raise your hands if you thought I meant the New York Jets.”
• TNT’s Conan O’Brien, on the U.S. economy boasting 157,000 new jobs: “Of course, most of those were for backup dancers for Beyonce.”
The Seattle Times