MANNING The Socastee girls were ready to play Monday night.
The third-seeded Braves jumped out to an early lead and never trailed in a 58-54 victory over second-seeded Manning in the first round of the Class AAA playoffs.
Socastee led 18-9 after a quarter and held off runs by the Monarchs the rest of the way.
“That was key being on the road because it was a pressure man-to-man [defense they were playing] the whole game,” Ford said of the quick start.
The Braves had six different players score in the first quarter en route to advancing to the second round.
“I think it really gives us some confidence. We’ve been stressing about getting off to a solid start and being the aggressor,” Ford said. “I think now they understand that is very important for us.”
Ford realized her team came to play early Monday night.
“They were talking and they were playing with more heart and fire [early in the game],” she said.
The Braves were one of three Region VII-AAA teams to advance Monday, a strong showing for the league.
“We’ve played tough region games and that really prepared us – we didn’t fold,” Ford said. “[Manning] made a couple runs and we fought hard and didn’t give up.”
• SOCASTEE (58) – Blake Smith 22, Maegan Harrelson 2, Heather Kyker 2, Say Say Grant 4, Kira Bell 7, Sydney Wortham 2, Madison Lowe 4, Mia Angelo 2, Sierrah McCarthy 2, Kirstin Zanardo 11
• MANNING (54) – Alexia Abraham 22, Monica Nelson 4, Petra York 6, Lashonda Brown 11, Mallea Harvin 8, Mahghen Greene 3
• 3-point goals: Socastee 2 (Zanardo), Manning 3 (Abraham 1, Brown 2). Team fouls: Socastee 20, Manning 20. Fouled out: Wortham (Socastee), Lowe (Socastee), Abraham (Manning), Brown (Manning). Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Socastee 15-10
High school girls basketball
• (At) Crestwood 46, Georgetown 41 | Raven Smith had 10 points, but the fourth-seeded Bulldogs fell short and saw their season end in the first round of the Class AAA playoffs.
• GEORGETOWN (41) – Raven Smith 10, Taziya Moody 6, Jamia Pocher 7, Moet Spann 5, Alexis Grove 7, Justice Evans 6.
• CRESTWOOD (46) – Keanua Williams 14, Aliyah Ford 4, Daniqiuia Lewis 13, Lanise Smith 3, Crystal Bennett 7, Shaquanda McCray 3, Candace Murray 2.
• Carvers Bay 57, (at) Latta 56 | The fourth-seeded Bears knocked off the top-seeded Vikings in the first round of the Class A playoffs.
CCU women’s golf
• SORRENTO, Fla. The Coastal Carolina women’s golf team was in 13th place after two rounds of the UCF Challenge after rounds of 302 and 300.
The Chants were at 26 over, 37 shots behind leader North Carolina.
Individually, Brittany Henderson paced the Chants in a tie for seventh (1-under 70-73–143). Lena Schaeffner was tied for 27th (75-73–148), Jessica Alexander was tied for 81st (81-76–157), Marissa Hinchman was tied for 87th (76-82–158) and Frida Castillo was tied for 90th (81-78–159).