COLUMBIA, SC — Items left too close to space heater apparently caused the fire at 62 Easy Street that displaced four people on Wednesday. The Columbia Richland Fire Department was called around 3:20 p.m. fire department spokesman Brick Lewis said.
The blaze was brought under control quickly. There were no injures.
An investigation determined that ‘combustible materials ignited as they were in close proximity to a space heater,” Lewis said. Damages were estimated at $18,000.
The home’s residents are being helped by the Red Cross.
--Rachael Myers Lowe