It’s in the hole
Here’s a golfing first: He holed in.
Mark Mihal fell 18 feet into a sinkhole when the earth opened up on the 14th hole at the Annbriar Golf Club near Waterloo, Ill.
“I feel lucky just to come out of it with a shoulder injury, falling that far and not knowing what I was going to hit,” Mihal, a 43-year-old mortgage broker, told AP. “It was absolutely crazy.”
On the bright side, at least this drop didn’t come with a one-stroke penalty.
• At SportsPickle.com: “Peyton Manning texts Tom Brady pictures of himself throwing short passes to Wes Welker.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Dr. James Andrews’ ears perk up after hearing ACL snap across country.”
Latest fallout from Florida Atlantic awarding the GEO Group — a prison-operating company — the naming rights to its football stadium:
The Owls will wear their traditional blue and red at home, and orange on the road.
“A pure-gold replica of soccer star Lionel Messi’s left foot valued at $5.25 million was unveiled in Tokyo,” noted Greg Cote of the Miami Herald. “The gold foot went on to score three goals later that day.”
Cue up the Blood, Sweat & Tears, and go down Grambling.
Despite their closest game of the season — a 59-51 loss to Alabama A&M — the Tigers finished with an 0-28 record in men’s basketball.
• Syndicated columnist Norman Chad, after the Nationals named Stephen Strasburg their opening-day starter: “However, in order to preserve his arm, he will be limited to throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.”
• NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, after Francis, upon being named pope, was taken to “The Room of Tears” at the Vatican: ‘Or as I call that, ‘The Gym.’ ”
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSports Babe.com, on the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant out indefinitely with a sprained ankle: “Can’t wait to hear Dwight Howard tell him to play through the pain.”
He’s the reel deal
Millville (N.J.) High announced plans to rename its baseball field in honor of Thunderbolts alum and Angels star Mike Trout.
In keeping with the theme, all fly balls there will be ruled catch-and-release.
The Seattle Times