NEWBERRY COUNTY, SC — UPDATE: A third teenager was arrested by authorities Thursday after a phoned-in bomb threat emptied Newberry High School on Monday.
The 16-year-old was not identified because of his age. He has been charged with 'conveying a bomb threat,' The Newberry County Sheriff's Department said in a news release.
Earlier this week, the authorities announced the arrest of two teenagers on Tuesday. The three students "acted together in conveying the threat," Thursday's news release stated.
Daisha Kibler, 17, and a 16-year-old juvenile will be charged with conveying a bomb threat, Sheriff Lee Foster said. More arrests are possible, Foster said.
Newberry High School was evacuated after a bomb threat was called in to the main office at 10:45 a.m. Monday. Once officers and bomb-snigging dogs had checked out the school, students were allowed back in the building and classes resumed, Foster said.
Kibler was being held at the Newberry County Detention Center Tuesday night. She is to be formerly charged at a bond hearing Wednesday and if convicted could be sentenced to up to 10 years in jail . The 16-year-old was taken to the SC Department of Juvenile Justice facility in Columbia.
In addition, Foster said he wants the students to pay the cost of manpower required to respond to the threat.
-- Rachael Myers Lowe