ROCK HILL — With bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 11th with the Coastal Carolina baseball team clinging to a 3-2 lead, Ryan Connolly got two pop outs and a strikeout for his eighth save and lift the Chanticleers to a series-opening win at Winthrop on Friday night.
With one out in the top of the 11th, Luke Willis reached on an infield single and moved to second on a hit-and-run ground out. Zach Remillard then fisted a bloop single just between the shortstop and left fielder, allowing Willis to score from second in what proved to be the game winner for the Chants (22-12, 8-2 Big South).
• (At) Clemson 8, Wake Forest 2 | Daniel Gossett allowed two runs – one earned – in six innings and six different Tigers drove in runs.
Tyler Slaton, Thomas Brittle, Garrett Boulware, Steve Wilkerson, Steve Duggar and Joe Costigan each had RBIs for Clemson (24-11, 10-6 ACC).
• (At) Florida 4, South Carolina 3 | Harrison Bader drove in the game-tying and winning runs on a single in the bottom of the eighth to help the Gators rally past the Gamecocks.
High school boys tennis
• Waccamaw 5, Myrtle Beach 1 | The Warriors cruised past the Seahawks on Thursday.
• Singles – Justin Dunn (W) d. Jack Woodward 6-0, 6-0; Matt Fisher (W) d. John Rosner 6-0, 6-1; Joey Hewes (W) d. Moore 6-0, 6-0; Alex Czechner (W) d. Cole Bellamy 6-0, 6-0; Anatoly Policastro (MB) d. Jaz Greene 6-3, 2-6 (9-11).
• Doubles – Woodrow Tudor/Ben Hewes (W) d. Woodward/Shelley 6-2, 6-3.
High school softball
• Carolina Forest 11, (at) West Florence 1 | Emily Merriam struck out four and allowed only one run in seven innings, Sara Sweatt went 4-for-5 with two doubles, a home run, two RBIs and two runs scored, and the Panthers rolled past the Knights.
• W–Emily Merriam (14-1). L–Locklair. Top hitters – CF: Sara Sweatt 4-5, 2 2B, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R; Marisa Runyon 2-4, HR, 2B, RBI, 3 R; Angelina Santoro 3-5, RBI, R. West Florence: Woodbury 1-3, RBI.
Records – Carolina Forest 19-1
• The South Carolina Warriors’ season ended in the ABA semifinals on Thursday night in Jacksonville, Fla.
The second-year squad lost 113-110 to the North Dallas Vandals in the Final Four. The Vandals will play the Jacksonville Giants in the best-of-three finals beginning Saturday.
The Warriors lost to Jacksonville in last season’s finals.