PAWLEYS ISLAND — The injury-laden Waccamaw softball team allowed two late runs as Georgetown came from behind to defeat the Warriors 3-2 on Tuesday. Crystyn Neely drove in Blakely Graham on a game-winning single to propel the Bulldogs.
Meanwhile, Waccamaw will open the district playoffs at home against Lake City on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
“We’re banged up,” Warriors coach Scott Streiffert said. “We got three kids out with injuries from our game at Dillon.
“We’ll see. We’re glad to be at home but we need to get healthy.”
Taylor Mercer pitched her way to another win, giving Georgetown some momentum for its opening district playoff game at Marlboro County on Thursday at 6 p.m.
“Georgetown played well,” Streiffert said. “Early in the season we played them and it was a totally different game, we won 9-6. But I thought Mercer pitched extremely well. We got a good pitching performance tonight [out of Melaina Moore], too. It was Moore’s first start of the year she pitched well enough to win but we just didn’t get enough hits. Good game overall, Georgetown played a little better than us."
• W–Taylor Mercer. L–Melaina Moore (0-1). Top hitters – Georgetown: Blakely Graham 2-2, 2B, run; Crystyn Neely 1-2, RBI; Megan Strickland 1-4, 3B, run. Waccamaw: Riley Morris 2-3, 2B; Leah Boghosian 2-3, run; Nina Lowenbach 1-3, 2B.
Records – Georgetown 12-7, Waccamaw 22-5
• (At) Myrtle Beach 11, Loris 1 (5) | Deriica Burgess had a two-run double and Angel Hatzidakis had six strikeouts in a complete-game effort to lead the Seahawks.
• W–Angel Hatzidakis (9-11). L–Faircloth. Top hitters – Loris: Cox 2-3; Harrelson 1-1, run. Myrtle Beach: Cameron Crutchfield 3-3, 2 runs; Deriica Burgess 1-2, 2B, 2 RBIs, run; Camden Patsel 1-1, run; Serena Bethle 1-1.
Records – Myrtle Beach 9-12.
High school boys soccer
• St. James 5, Georgetown 1 | At South Strand Rec. Center, Conor Sloan had a hat trick and recorded one assist to lead the Sharks over the Bulldogs.
John Santos and Cedric Corbett added one goal each for St. James. Constantino Aguilar, Brandon Wallace & Quadarius Grate each had an assist. Senior Geri Manaj recorded 8 saves for St. James (12-6-1, 5-3 Region VII-AAA) as well.
High school girls soccer
• (At) Conway 3, South Florence 0 | Daisya Gause, Taylor McLain and Christine Gangi scored one goal apiece to lead the Tigers over the Bruins.
Maria Quinones assisted McLain’s goal, and Kylie Smith assisted Gangi’s goal as Conway improved to 6-6.
G oals – CON: Daisya Gause, Taylor McLain, Christine Gangi.
G oalkeepers – CON: Leah Stetter (6).
Records – Conway 6-6.
• North Myrtle Beach 4, (at) Wilson 0 | Ashley Robinson had a hat trick and Lauren McCarthy added a goal as the Chiefs shut out the Tigers.
Shelby Carr had two assist sante Kate Carr had seven saves for North Myrtle Beach.
• St. James 4, North Myrtle Beach 1 | At Socastee, Ashley Robinson had a goal and Katie Carr made 10 saves, but it wasn’t enough as the Chiefs fell to the Sharks on Monday.
High school boys golf
• Carolina Forest 157, (at) Aynor 167 | Cole Swezey shot an even-par 36 to lead the Panthers over the Blue Jackets at Burning Ridge.
CAROLINA FOREST 157 – Cole Swezey 36, Ben Roleson 39, Enzo Farrar 39, Bailey Endres 43.
AYNOR 167 – Johnson Holliday 38, Chase Johnson 42, Spencer Cannon 43, Colin Peavy 44.
Course – Burning Ridge. Par – 36.
Records – Carolina Forest 5-5, Aynor 6-6.
High school boys tennis
• Socastee 6, (at) St. James 1 | The Braves clinched the Region VII-AAA title with the win.
Singles – Jeffrey Dayton (SJ) d. Robert Conley 6-1, 6-0; Coste Duvall (S) d. Critt Gore 6-1, 6-1; Noah Johnson (S) d. Kyle Burkhart 6-4, 6-2; Josh Davis (S) d. Joseph Martinez 2-6, 6-1 (13-11); Tommy Lazaroff (S) d. Thomas Leonard 6-4, 6-1.
Doubles – Levi Altman/Chance Mullin (S) d. Andrew Sicklin/Hayden Zemke 6-1, 6-3; Conley/Duvall (S) d. Dayton/Burkhart 8-6.
Records – Socastee 5-0 Region VII-AAA, St. James 7-9 (2-3).
• Marion 7, (at) Hannah-Pamplico 0 | The Swamp Foxes cruised to a win.
Singles – Tyler Williams (M) d. Davis Holt 6-1, 6-0; Matt Williams (M) d. Brandon Ard 6-0, 6-2; Zi Huang (M) d. Blake Calcutt 6-2, 6-0; Anunay Pulukuri (M) d. Francisco Arriaga 6-1, 6-1; Justin Turner (M) d. Tyja McNeil 6-1, 7-5.
Doubles – T. Williams/M. Williams d. Holt/Ard 8-0; Brandon Sanders/Gabriel Thomas (M) d. Zachary Greenwood/Andrew Poston 6-1, 6-4.
Records – Marion 9-5.
• (At) College of Charleston 14, Coastal Carolina 2 | The Cougars broke the game open with five runs in the third, hitting three doubles. With one out, Carl Wise walked and moved to third on Cody Martin’s double. Ryan Welke followed with an RBI single and Morgan Phillips delivered an RBI double. Blake Butler, who was 4-for-5 with four RBIs, hit the Cougars’ third double of the inning, driving in two. Matt Heidt capped the scoring with a two-out RBI single.
Brady Arenson allowed six runs in two innings and took the loss for the Chants (25-16), who have lost three straight.
• Gardner-Webb 7, (at) South Carolina 6 | Tyler Best reached on a throwing error and Taylor Fisher scored the winning run on an error on the play to provide the game-winner in the ninth.
Grayson Greiner and Connor Bright each drove in two runs for the Gamecocks (31-11).
• (At) College of Charleston 2-9, Coastal Carolina 1-0 | The Chanticleers (31-20) had their six-game winning streak snapped.