High school baseball
• (At) Waccamaw 14, Kingstree 1 (5) | Kevin Keyes struck out nine batters as the Warriors got the win over the Indians in the first round of the playoffs. Waccamaw will face Dillon tomorrow at 6:30.
• W–Kevin Keyes (2-1). L–McElwee. Top hitters – Kingstree: Dustin McKnight 1-3, Larry Elmore1-2. Waccamaw: Jordan Howeler 2-3, 2 RBIs, run, Luke Freeman 2-2, RBI, 2 runs, Justin Colgrove 1-2, 2B, RBI, run.
Records – Waccamaw: (17-8, 8-2 Region VIII-AA)
• (At) Andrews 1, Timberland 0 | Ethan Wright struck out 15 batters as the Yellowjackets got the win over Timberland.
• W–Ethan Wright (5-0). L–Wyndham. Top hitters – Timberland: Carr 1-3, Dennis 1-3. Andrews: Rivers Cribb 2-3, Patrick Ward 1-3, RBI, Eleon Bruce 1-2.
Records – Andrews: 17-7
High school softball
• Georgetown 4, (at) Marlboro County 2 | Megan Strickland was 3-for-4 with an RBI as the Bulldogs got the win over Marlboro County.
• W–Taylor Mercer (10-7). Top hitters – Georgetown: Megan Strickland 3-4, RBI, Taylor Graham 2-4, RBI, Blakely Graham 2-3, Kelly Howard 1-3, RBI.
Records – Georgetown: 11-7
• (At) Socastee 7, Manning 5 | Rebekah Oakley was 2-for-3 with a run and an RBI, and Kibibi Thorsen struck out five as the Braves got the win over Manning.
• W–Kibibi Thorsen (7-4). L–K. Shaffer. Top hitters – Manning: K. Gamble 3-3, 2 HRs, 2B, 3 runs. Socastee: Rebekah Oakley 2-3, run, RBI, Quin Gammon 1-3, 2B, 2 RBIs, Blake Smith 1-3, run, 2 RBIs, Savannah Talley 1-1, 2 runs.
Records – Socastee: 16-9; Manning: 4-14
• (At) Waccamaw 11, Lake City 1 (6) | Emily Heimberger 3-for-4, with three runs and an RBI as the Warriors got the win in six innings.
• W–Hallie Butler (12-3). L–Brianna Van House. Top hitters – Lake City: Najia Miller 2-3, run, Bridget Monroe 2-2. Waccamaw: Emily Heimberger 3-4, 3 runs, RBI, Olivia Dunlap 2-3, 2 runs, 2 RBIs, Riley Morris 2-4, 2 3Bs, 3 RBIs, McKenzie Lugin 2-3, 3B, 2 runs.
Records – Waccamaw: 23-5
Coastal Carolina Softball
• Coastal Carolina 5, (at) Liberty 1 | The Chants homered four times to set a new school record, while picking up two big wins Friday afternoon, sweeping a Big South Conference doubleheader with convincing 5-1 and 9-0 victories.
In Game 1, Kiana Quolas hit a three-run homer to break a scoreless tie in the fifth inning and also notched the complete-game victory, allowing just five hits. She added a double and combined with Cacia Pierre for all four of the Chanticleers’ hits and RBIs. Pierre went 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBIs.
• Liberty: Zavodny 1-3, Allen 1-3, Nichols 1-3, run, McCoy 1-3, Lawrence 1-3. Coastal Carolina: Quolas 2-4, Pierre 2-4, 2 RBIs. W–Quolas, K. (20-9). L–Ball, C. (8-14). S–None. Quolas, K.(13); Mccoy, K.(5). HR- Quolas, K.(11); Pierre, C.(8). HBP - Chiusano, B. SH - Hayden, K (3); Daigle, J. (7); Winans, J. 2 (5); Stephens, J. (10). SB - Chiusano, B. (23); Howell, C. (12); Allen, K. (4).
Records: Coastal Carolina (32-20,17-5 BSC); Liberty (19-31,8-14 BSC)
• Coastal Carolina 9, (at) Liberty 0 | In the second game, the Chants took a 1-0 lead in the third inning, with Winans hitting a leadoff home run over the center-field fence, her sixth of the season.
Coastal stayed strong throughout, and sealed the win.
• Liberty: Stephens 1-3, Robinson 1-2. Coastal Carolina: Quolas 1-3, run, Hayden 3-4, 4 RBIs, Noad 1-2, run, Donovan 3-4, 2 RBIs, Winanas 2-3, 2 runs, RBI. . W - Bagwell, A. (11-8). Loss - Brittingham (8-11). Save - None. 2B - Quolas, K.(14); Donovan, B.(5). HR - Hayden, K(14); Winans, J.(6). HBP - Chiusano, B.. SH - Noad, M.(2). SB - Chiusano, B.(24).
Records: Coastal Carolina (33-20,18-5 BSC); Liberty (19-32,8-15 BSC)
Coastal Carolina Track
The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers are currently competing in the 199th annual Penn Relays in Philadelpia.
In the men’s 4x400 team relays, Coastal sophomore Deandra Lipscomb, freshman Corey Hackett-Greene, freshman Matthew Lights, and freshman Deion Wellington set a new school record of 309.98, good enough for 13th out of 69 teams to qualify for the College Final today. The old record was 311.32, which was set in 2007.
In the 4x100 team relays, Ronnie Jackson, Joseph Wilson, Corey Hackett-Greene, and Eric Brown finished 15th out of 75 teams with a time of 41.04, good enough to qualify for the College Men’s Final as well. In the High Jump, Coastal’s Reggie Nelson with a jump of 6 ft. 8 ¼.
In the women’s division, Jessica Gelibert, (No. 1 overall Freshman in NCAA Division 1) won fourth place in the 400m hurdles with a time of 58.84. In the 4x100 team relays, Erica Peake, Symphony Thompson, Letesha Simpson, Qwontajah Thomspon won bronze with a time of 45.42, narrowly beating the South Carolina Gamecocks who finished with a time of 45.48.
In the 4x400m team relays, Jessica Gelibert, Letesha Simpson, Qwontajah Thompson Erica Peake qualified for the College Final today with a time of 3.4108.