COLUMBIA, SC — More than 15 people were rendered homeless Friday morning when unattended cooking started a two-alarm fire at an apartment complex.
The fire at a 12-unit building of the Wellington Farms Apartments, 700 Greenlawn Drive off Garners Ferry Road, was reported to the Columbia Fire Department around 2:45 a.m., department spokesman Brick Lewis said.
Heavy smoke and fire were showing on the building when initial crews arrived. One resident suffered a minor injury in the form of a cut on the hand, Lewis said.
Damages are estimated at about $350,000. While several units suffered heavy damage from fire, smoke and water, a total of 17 residents from all 12 were homeless because power had to be cut to fight the fire. Many will be able to return quickly, and the Red Cross is helping the others find temporary housing.