Unattended cooking causes $50,000 mobile home fire in Lower Richland

jmonk@thestate.comMay 21, 2013 

— Unattended cooking in a double-wide mobile home caused a fire that destroyed the structure, Columbia Fire Department officials said Tuesday morning.

No one was injured in the fire, which happened in Lower Richland on Harmon Road about 10:30 p.m. Monday, spokesman Brick Lewis said.

The fire did an estimated $50,000 worth of damages, he said.

“It was a really hard fire to get to,” Lewis said. “Down a winding dirt road.”

Lewis didn’t know how many people were living in the mobile home. But it was an occupant of the structure who called the fire in, he said.

Fire units from McEntire Joint National Guard Base in the nearby Eastover community helped Columbia firefighters put the blaze out.

“Down in that section of the county, we do a lot of things together,” Lewis said.

Reach Monk at (803) 771-8344.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service