Cooking fire breaks out at Columbia Fire station

dprice@thestate.comJune 18, 2013 

— A Columbia fire station sustained about $20,000 in damages after a firefighter left a pot on a stove Monday afternoon.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of Fire Station No. 1, on Laurel Street, about 6:30 p.m., shortly after crews from the station responded to separate incidents. The station’s sprinklers contained the fire to the area around the stove and a cabinet above until firefihters returned to douse the flames.

Most of the damages to the station can be attributed to water from the sprinklers, according to the fire department. Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said the fire only underscores how important it is to not leave cooking food unattended.

“This is an example of how cooking fires can occur anywhere and to anyone, that's why it is so important to never leave cooking food unattended," he said.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service