Smoker caused $27,000 apartment fire in Columbia

jmonk@thestate.comJuly 3, 2013 

Columbia firefighters work the scene of a July 1 apartment fire on Byron Road.

COLUMBIA FIRE DEPARTMENT

— A smoker who didn’t make sure his or her tobacco ashes were extinguished caused some $27,000 worth of damage to a local apartment.

The official cause was “improper discarding of smoking material,” said Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis.

That means, Lewis said, someone didn’t put their cigarette, pipe or cigar completely out and left it where it could set something else on fire.

Four persons were displaced after the fire at 321 Bryon Road, which is between Interstate 77 and the Dorn VA Medical Center.

The fire happened around 6:15 p.m. Monday. The Red Cross is assisting the people who lost the use of their homes.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service