Brannon decides against Zais challenge

lee.healy@shj.comSeptember 13, 2013 

South Carolina State Superintendent of Education Mick Zais

C MICHAEL BERGEN — mbergen@thestate.com Buy Photo

State Rep. Doug Brannon said Friday he will not run for the office of state superintendent of education, but plans to seek re-election to the House.

Brannon, R-Landrum, said over the summer that he was considering a bid for superintendent but never formally announced his candidacy.

Current Superintendent Mick Zais, a Republican, has said he will seek re-election. Zais, who previously served as the president of Newberry College and was a brigadier general in the U.S. Army, is in his first term in office.

Last month, Rep. Mike Anthony, D-Union, announced his candidacy for the post. Anthony is a retired school teacher and football coach and is in his sixth term in the state House of Representatives.

Brannon said Friday that he decided about two weeks ago that his time as an advocate for public education would be better spent in a third term as a state representative.

"There is a candidate much more qualified than I," Brannon said, but he declined to name the candidate to which he was referring. "Therefore, I believe I can better serve the citizens of District 38 and public education as a member of the House of Representatives."

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service