High-rise fire injuries 1 Sunday night

jmonk@thestate.comOctober 6, 2013 

Marion Street High Rise at 1920 Marion St.

GOOGLE STREET VIEW

— A 18-story high-rise fire in downtown Columbia Sunday night resulted in a woman being transported to a local hospital and more than a dozen people being evacuated.

The cause of the fire was "smoking while oxygen was in use," Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis said shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday.

The condition of the woman was unknown.

No one else was injured in the fire at 1930 Marion Street, a building on the corner of Marion and Calhoun that Lewis said was operated by the Columbia Housing Authority.

It is a 146-unit building that houses people 50 and above, according to the buildings Internet site.

More than 40 firefighters on the scene extinguished the blaze in a second-story apartment, Lewis said.

All tenants residing from the first to the third floors were evacuated from the building, and everyone on the fourth floor and above "sheltered in place," Lewis said.

The fire appeared to have started in an area in the second-floor apartment where the oxygen tank was in use, Lewis said.

Two ladder trucks and multiple fire engines responded to the fire when the call came in around 9:40 p.m., he said.

There was minimal damage to the high rise, even in the unit where the first started, he said.

Sprinkler systems played a large role in keeping damage to a minimum, he said.

Firefighters were hoping to return the occupants to the building late Sunday.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service