SC’s Fort Jackson at ‘90 percent’ staffing

October 8, 2013 

— Most of the furloughed civilian defense employees at Fort Jackson, Columbia’s U.S. Army training facility, have returned to work this week.

About half of the fort’s 3,500 civilian workers were furloughed last week after the federal government’s partial shutdown, spokesman Pat Jones said. But about 90 percent of those civilian employees now are working again, he said.

Nearly 2,000 civilian employees of the S.C. National Guard and Marine Corps also reported back to work this week. Of the 1,325 non-contract civilians employed at Joint Base Charleston, 627 were furloughed last week and 369 returned to work this week, said base spokesman Sgt. William O’Brien.

Many federal contractors also are employed at the base. Information on how many of those employees remained at work under existing contracts and how many were furloughed is not available, O’Brien said Monday.

-- Jamie Self

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service