Details into shooting deaths at downtown Columbia home could take days

nophillips@thestate.comOctober 9, 2013 

UPDATE (1:15 p.m. Thursday): Authorities say it could take several days before more information is available about the two people killed by gunshots and found in a Columbia home earlier this week.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said details into his investigation of the deaths may not be released until next week. And Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said police are waiting for additional details from the coroner's office.

ORIGINAL STORY: A couple found dead inside a Gadsden Street garage in downtown Columbia both died of gunshot wounds.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts identified the deceased as 59-year-old Anne Jervey and 51-year-old Robert Galphin III, both of Columbia. Jervey lived at the home on the 2200 block of Gadsden Street, off Elmwood Avenue, where their bodies were found. Galphin lived on Amherst Avenue in Shandon, according to a press release from Watts and the Columbia Police Department.

While both were killed by gunshot wounds, police Wednesday afternoon would not provide possible scenarios for the deaths. Investigators from the police department and coroner’s office were trying to determine if it was a murder-suicide or another scenario, said Jennifer Timmons, a police department spokeswoman.

Galphin was reported missing by his wife on Sunday, according to a police report.

Galphin’s wife told police that she and her husband were separating and that he had left Sept. 12 with his belongings, the incident report said. The two spoke with each other on and off for several days. She last heard from him Sept. 28, she told police.

Galphin’s parents and supervisors at Providence Hospital also had not heard from him, the report said. He also had not picked up a prescription for depression and anxiety, Timmons said.

Jervey was a co-worker of Galphin, according to the incident report. Galphin’s wife had told police that she and Jervey had spoken on Sept. 18 and Jervey had said Galphin was asleep at her house. But the report said Jervey had not heard from him since then.

The missing person investigation led police to Jervey’s house, Timmons said.

Timmons would not release information about evidence found at the scene, including whether weapons were found. The investigation into what happened inside the home’s garage is ongoing, she said.

Reach Phillips at (803) 771-8307.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service