Fire damages Columbia home

October 11, 2013 

— A home in the King Street neighborhood area is heavily damaged after a fire caused by an overloaded circuit, authorities said.

Firefighters brought the blaze at the home in the 2600 block of Bratton Street under control within15 minutes after it was reported shortly after 9 p.m. Thursday, fire chief Aubrey Jenkins said.

Three persons in the home escaped unharmed, he said.

Each reported smelling smoke after hearing a popping noise and then discovering the fire that spread from a bedroom into the kitchen and through the roof, he said.

Staff reports

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service