Hospice worker saves Sumter man from fire

The Associated PressOctober 18, 2013 

— A Wedgefield family of six is without a home but no one was hurt thanks to quick-thinking hospice worker Rosalind Wilson.

The Item of Sumter reports the Agape Hospice nursing assistant was giving a bedridden man a bed bath when she smelled something burning.

Wilson says the grandmother was outside doing yard work, a daughter was at work and the grandchildren were at school. Wilson says another bed in the house was on fire, so she got the man into a wheelchair and out of the mobile home.

Sumter County Fire Capt. Joey Duggan says by the time firefighters arrived, 80 percent of the home was in flames.

Wilson had been working with the family for four months.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service