Columbia house fire displaces one resident

cwinston@thestate.comOctober 29, 2013 

— A Tuesday afternoon house fire in the Melrose Heights neighborhood was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Brick Lewis with the Columbia Fire Department said firefighters responded to the fire in the 1400 block of Maple Street at about 1:30 p.m. When they arrived, the two-story home had heavy fire and smoke showing from the front.

No one was injured in the fire, but one resident will be displaced.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service