LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Former lawmaker will not run for Congress
Boyd Brown says he will not challenge U.S. Rep. Mick Mulvaney, R-Indian Land, in South Carolina’s 5th District congressional race.
Brown, a former Democratic state representative from Fairfield County, earlier told The (Rock Hill) Herald that he was considering challenging Mulvaney, who ousted longtime Democratic U.S. Rep. John Spratt in 2010.
However, Brown emailed several journalists Thursday to say that, while many people had asked him to run, “I am not, nor will I be a candidate for Congress.”
“Ultimately, the decision came down to the fact that I’m enjoying the private sector too much,” said Brown, now project development manager for Landmark Builders of South Carolina. “I can think of one place as dysfunctional as the South Carolina General Assembly, and that is the United States House of Representatives. With that said, I’ll stick to a productive job in the real world for now and use the energy I would have put into running for Congress into making our community and South Carolina a better place.”
Brown is not leaving politics, however. He is one of South Carolina’s representatives on the Democratic National Committee.
Graham, Scott vote against discrimination bill
Both of South Carolina’s U.S. senators voted against a bill Thursday that would make it illegal for employers to fire people because they are gay.
U.S. Sens. Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott – both Republicans facing re-election in 2014 – voted against the bill, which passed with the Senate by a 64-32 vote. Neither senator issued a statement on the passage of the bill, unlikely to pass the House.
S.C. Democratic leaders called Graham and Scott’s opposition to the bill “bizarre and hypocritical.”
“All people who work hard and do their jobs to support their families deserve the security and respect of not being fired simply for who they are and how they were born,” S.C. Democratic Party chairman Jaime Harrison said in a statement. “Senators Graham and Scott need to do some soul searching and start working for all of the people of South Carolina, instead of just Tea Party extremists.”
Former S.C. lottery official gets 37-month sentence
A federal judge on Thursday sentenced a former Arkansas lottery security official to three years and a month in prison for stealing and cashing almost $500,000 worth of scratch-off tickets.
U.S. District Judge Susan Webber Wright also ordered former deputy security director Remmele Mazyck to pay more than $482,000 in restitution.
In court in Little Rock, Mazyck, a former official of the S.C. lottery, apologized for his actions after his mother asked the judge for leniency on his behalf. “There’s no excuse for what I’ve done,” Mazyck said.
Mazyck pleaded guilty to federal wire fraud and money laundering charges in July.
The lottery has said Mazyck cashed more than 22,700 tickets worth nearly $500,000 between 2009 and 2012. Officials say Mazyck used his own security clearance to code tickets from the lottery’s warehouse as promotional giveaways.
Arkansas voters approved the lottery in 2008 to raise money for college scholarships, and the state began selling tickets the following year.
Mazyck, who earned $76,500 last year, followed Arkansas’ original lottery director Ernie Passailaigue, who started the S.C. lottery, from South Carolina to help launch the Arkansas lottery. The current lottery director, Bishop Woosley, fired Mazyck in November 2012 after learning about the ticket thefts.
Wright also sentenced Mazyck to two years’ supervised release following his prison term.
The Associated Press