LUGOFF, SC — A fire whipped by high winds destroyed a barn in Lugoff Tuesday night. After the blaze was put out, firefighters discovered that “multiple cats, treasured family pets” were killed in the blaze, Lugoff fire chief Dennis Ray said in a news release.
As many as six cats were trapped in the barn, which was located on Guion Drive off Lachiotte Road in Lugoff, Ray said.
When firefighters arrived on scene Tuesday night, they discovered a raging blaze that had already spread to nearby woods near the barn and threatened a neighbor’s detached garage. Winds gusting to 30 miles per hour were pushing the blaze toward other houses.
While the investigation continues, a space heater is thought responsible for the blaze, Ray said.
-- Rachael Myers Lowe