Williams: Save a life; donate to cancer research

November 26, 2013 

— Save a life; donate to cancer research

November is lung cancer awareness month. The crossed ribbon for lung cancer is clear with a narrow gold outline. It is almost invisible — like lung cancer. I am one of the incredibly fortunate 16 percent of lung cancer patients to live longer than five years — 13 years now. For the other 84 percent, the diagnosis is a death sentence.

Lung cancer is the No. 1 cancer killer of men and women but gets less money for research than other major cancers. See the American Cancer Society web site (www.cancer.org) for the survival rates of other cancers. The only hope for more survivors is money for research to develop better screening and treatment.

Please donate to lung cancer research — prefereably to the Initiative for Lung Cancer North Carolina, of which I am a founding member and which will direct the large majority of donations to research and awareness.

Beth Williams

Columbia

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service