Improperly discarded fireplace ashes cause Thanksgiving Day fire

November 28, 2013 

— An apartment fire off Greystone Boulevard that displaced as many as 12 people Thursday night was caused by improper discarding of fireplace ashes.

An exact number of those left homeless was not available but the blaze damaged all eight units of building 15 at the Charbonneau Apartment complex which is located off Greystone Boulevard, Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis said.

Firefighters were called around 6:45 p.m. and when they arrived they could see flames coming from the building, Lewis said.

The City Fire Marshals' Office determined the cause of the fire. There were no injuries reported as a result of the fire. The SC Red Cross was notified and helping those displaced from their home, Lewis said. Damages were estimated around $350,000, Lewis added.

-- Rachael Myers Lowe

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service