No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case

December 5, 2013 

Florida St Winston Investigation Football

FILE - In this Sept. 21, 2013, file photo, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston watches from the sidelines during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Bethune-Cookman in Tallahassee, Fla. Search warrants, released Thursday, dec. 5, 2013, in the sexual assault investigation of Winston indicate the woman told police she was raped at an apartment after a night of drinking at a bar. (AP Photo/Phil Sears, File)

PHIL SEARS — AP

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – A prosecutor says Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged in a sexual assault case.

State Attorney Willie Meggs made the announcement Thursday. The 19-year-old Heisman Trophy candidate was accused of raping a female student in December last year, but Meggs says there is not enough evidence for anyone to be charged in the case.

The Tallahassee Police Department turned the case over to Meggs on Nov. 12 after several media inquiries. Meggs interviewed the accuser Nov. 21.

The prosecutor says Winston's DNA matched a sample found in the woman's underwear. But Winston's lawyer, Tim Jansen, has said that was expected and doesn't prove guilt.

The top-ranked and undefeated Seminoles are playing Duke on Saturday in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game. A win would likely put them in the BCS championship game.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service