How to make holidays safe for pets

Grand Forks HeraldDecember 12, 2013 

HO

You can dress your dog for the holidays, but it might not keep them warm.

HANDOUT — MCT

Ornaments on the Christmas tree, popcorn and cranberry strings and, of course, sweet, sugary treats.

Sounds like a festive holiday celebration – for people. But for pets?

Ornaments are treats that shouldn’t be eaten, sugar leads to being sick and popcorn strings could be a quick way to tip over a Christmas tree.

“My dog did that one year,” said Dr. Crystal Scott, veterinarian at Kindness Animal Hospital in Grand Forks, N.D. Her dog had tried to eat popcorn and cranberries off of the tree, only to end up with the whole tree falling on top of him.

But these holiday hazards don’t mean pet owners can’t celebrate – they just need to take precautions.

With the holidays comes the cold, and “the worst thing a pet can get into in the winter is anti-freeze,” Scott said. “If you don’t catch it in the first 24 hours (after a pet drinks anti-freeze) it can cause kidney failure.”

And unfortunately anti-freeze tastes sweet to pets, Scott said. Sometimes pet owners will be working in their garage and not notice their dog drink spilled anti-freeze, she said.

“Luckily most people who own pets know about anti-freeze, but we still get one from time to time,” she said.

COLD TEMPS

The winter weather can also pose a chilly threat to pets, Scott said.

She advises anyone who keeps their pet outside to have a wind-proof shelter with bedding to help keep the pet warm.

“Some people have heated shelters for their pets,” she said. If that’s not the case, she suggests making sure the shelter is small enough so that the pet’s body heat can warm it.

“Shorter-hair dogs are more susceptible to the cold,” Scott added.

Jean Youshefski, community service officer at the Grand Forks Police Department, said she hasn’t had any calls about animals being left outside this year, but in the past she has.

“We do get calls like that. It’s not common,” she said.

When she is called to check on a pet that has been left outside, she reminds the owners that they should have a shelter for the pet and provide water, and she encourages them to bring the pet inside when temperatures are below zero.

BAD TREATS

Holiday festivities can also be dangerous to pets if their owners aren’t careful.

Scott suggests that pet owners watch electrical cords when hanging Christmas lights, because pets could pull or chew the cords.

Pet owners should also remember that holiday foods can make pets sick, so chocolate and other sweets shouldn’t be fed to pets, she said.

And pet owners shouldn’t give ham or turkey bones to pets, Scott said. “We always worry about bones splintering.”

She also suggested keeping Christmas tree ornaments out of the reach of pets.

“We do see a lot of dogs that think the ornaments are treats,” Scott said.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service