3 'very lucky' to escape Irmo house fire

December 24, 2013 

TRACY GLANTZ — tglantz@thestate.com Buy Photo

A man was asleep in the back bedroom of an Irmo home when he awoke to fire rolling across the ceiling above his head early Tuesday, a fire official said.

The man and two others in the house escaped the fire that occurred shortly after 1 a.m. on Chapelwhite Road, said Jeff Allen, chief investigator for Irmo Fire District.

The man was “very lucky to get out,” Allen said.

The fire was caused by a propane-powered portable heater that was too close to combustible material, Allen said.

The back bedroom of the home is destroyed and there is heat and smoke damage throughout the house, Allen said.

Red Cross responded to help the residents, he said.

Allen advised everyone to be careful with all heat devices this time of year.

“Definitely do not put anything that will burn within three feet of an appliance that puts out heat,” Allen said.

Reach Cope at 803-771-8657 or www.twitter.com/cassielcope

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service