Fire destroys home near Columbia College

January 4, 2014 

1514 Cleveland Street

COLUMBIA FIRE DEPARTMENT — Brick Lewis

COLUMBIA, SC A fire caused by ‘improper discarding of smoking materials’ destroyed a house at 1514 Cleveland Street near Columbia College Friday night.

Columbia firefighters responded to the call around 6:15pm, department spokesman Brick Lewis said. The blaze was under control about an hour later. No one was injured in the fire that caused an estimated $65,000 in damage.

-- staff reports

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service