No one injured in small school fire

cwinston@thestate.comJanuary 13, 2014 

— No one was injured in Monday afternoon fire at a Richland County elementary school.

The fire, at about 3 p.m. at Brennan Elementary School in Richland One, was caused by a mechanical malfunction, said Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis. The malfunction was in or around the vicinity of an exhaust fan in a boys’ restroom.

The fire was quickly extinguished by initial units on the scene.

Richland One spokeswoman Edith Caudle said at the time of the fire, which occurred at dismissal, most of the students were outside — and people still inside were evacuated.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service