CFD: Cause of Monday morning apartment fire was electrical

akflanagan@thestate.comJanuary 20, 2014 

THE COLUMBIA FIRE DEPARTMENT

— The cause of an early morning fire at the Four Season apartment complex on Schoolhouse Road was electrical in nature, in or around the vicinity of a dryer, according to Columbia Fire Department Spokesman Brick Lewis.

The Columbia Fire Department responded around 7:20 a.m. where heavy smoke and fire were visible as first units arrived.

Lewis said the fire was under control around 8 a.m., but about eight apartments in building B sustained damage. Only a couple of apartments had severe fire damage, but officials had to cut the power to the building.

Lewis said one person was transported by Richland County EMS to an area hospital, and about 30 occupants were displaced by the fire.

He said damages are estimated at $115,000.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service