One person killed after police chase in Horry County

troot@thesunnews.comJanuary 23, 2014 

Authorities are investigating a single-vehicle crash in which a man was killed Tuesday after a police pursuit near North Myrtle Beach, officials said.

Bryan Lamm, 25, of Myrtle Beach was pronounced dead at the crash scene from multiple trauma, Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard said.

Cpl. Sonny Collins from S.C. Highway Patrol said a state trooper tried at about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday to stop a vehicle that disregarded a traffic signal or sign on S.C. 22 at S.C. 90, Cpl. Sonny Collins said. The trooper began to chase after the vehicle because the driver refused to stop and the vehicle crashed during the chase.

Horry County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating the crash since a trooper attempted to initiate a traffic stop on the vehicle, which was a 2003 Volkswagen, said Sgt. Jeff Benton with the sheriff’s office.

The crash occurred at 11:24 p.m. Tuesday at the corner of Long Bay Road and Water Lilly Road, which is off of S.C. 90, Benton said.

The trooper was not involved in the crash.

It was unclear why Lamm refused to stop for the trooper, according to authorities.

A records check with the State Law Enforcement Division showed that Lamm was arrested in May 2006 by North Myrtle Beach police on charges of resisting arrest and public disorderly conduct and was fined $310. The following year in April 2007, Lamm was arrested by Horry County police on charges of breaking into a vehicle and petty larceny. He was given a fine.

In August 2007, Lamm was arrested by Myrtle Beach police on charges of failure to sign his registration card, minor in possession of alcohol and reckless driving, according to SLED records. Lamm was fined $180 for the reckless driving charge.

The following year in October 2008, a highway patrol trooper arrested Lamm on charges of possession of marijuana and first-offense driving under the influence, according to SLED records. Lamm’s driver’s license was suspended and he served 15 days in jail and paid $1,567 in fines.

In the records on April 29, 2010, West Columbia police charged Lamm with reckless driving, driving without a license, possession of cocaine and possession of cocaine with intent to distribute near a school. From those charges Lamm was ordered to pay $185 fine or spend 10 days in jail on the reckless driving charge, $237 fine or 15 days on the no driver’s license charge and $362 or 15 days on the drug possession.

Later that year on June 23, 2010, Columbia police charged Lamm with failure to comply with the directions of a police officer or firefighter and he was released on time served, according to SLED records.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service