Thursday morning fire causes $200,000 in damages

akflanagan@thestate.comJanuary 23, 2014 

COLUMBIA FIRE DEPARTMENT

— The Richland County Fire Marshals’ Office has determined a mechanical malfunction in or around the vicinity of a bathroom exhaust fan was the cause of an early morning fire at 1405 Old Dairy Road.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to the fire, which caused an estimated $200,000 in damages, around 7 a.m. Thursday morning.

Brick Lewis, spokesman for the Columbia Fire Department, said fire was not visible from the exterior when units arrived, but heavy, black smoke was coming from the roof.

Lewis said there were no injuries.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service