Unattended stove fire guts Columbia apartment as Sunday morning blaze displaces three

monk@thestate.comFebruary 2, 2014 

— An early Sunday predawn fire caused by “unattended cooking” did $55,000 worth of damage to two apartments at Hammond Village Apartments, according to the Columbia Fire Department.

The fire at the apartment complex Building 11 has displaced three persons, said department spokesman Brick Lewis.

The fire was reported at 5:15 a.m.

No injuries were reported to firefighters or occupants.

Hammond Village Apartments is in north Columbia, to the south of River Drive.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service