Many local residents could turn to alternative heating solutions in their homes this week if winter weather causes power outages but experts warn that some heating options could cause carbon monoxide poisoning if used improperly.
The Carolinas Poison Center reminded people on Wednesday afternoon that carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can only be detected with a CO alarm.
To avoid potentially deadly carbon monoxide poisoning, experts recommend the following:
Never use a charcoal or gas grill inside a house, garage, closed-in porch or tent. Do not use charcoal in the fireplace.
When using the fireplace to burn wood or gas logs, make sure the flue is open and the chimney is not blocked.
Do not use a kerosene heater or gas logs for heat unless you have a working carbon monoxide alarm.
Never use a generator inside your home -- not even in the basement, garage or porch. Keep it outside, far away from the house.
Never use a gas stove or oven to heat the house.
Anna Douglas 803-329-4068