COLUMBIA, SC — According to the Columbia Fire Department, Meadowfield students and homeowners are able to return to classrooms and homes following an early morning gas leak.
Meadowfield Elementary students, faculty and staff, along with homeowners near the area, were been evacuated Wednesday morning after a natural gas line ruptured.
Columbia Fire Department Spokesman Brick Lewis said the leak happened around 8:50 a.m. at the intersection of Galway Lane and Christie Road.
Galway Lane was closed to all traffic between Saye Cut Lane and Merrill Road.
No injuries were reported Lewis said.
According to Lewis, students, faculty and staff were evacuated to the opposite side of the school.
Hammond School Headmaster Chris Angel said the school continued with daily operations.
“We have spoken with authorities, and we are safe to continue with daily operations,” Angel said. “We are directing people to use our alternate entrance, the Shelley Road gate.”
Angel also said the school has sent a notification to all of the families to let them know the children are safe.