Driver, aide who left child on bus no longer Lexington 1 employees

cwinston@thestate.comApril 17, 2014 

— Two people responsible for leaving an elementary school student on a bus for six hours last month are no longer employed by Lexington 1.

Mary Beth Hill, spokeswoman for the district, said this week that two employees – a bus driver and an aide – are “no longer employed.” Hill was unable to say whether the employees were fired or resigned.

Following a morning route from homes to school on March 19, the bus was parked and left around 7:30 a.m. at Pelion High School – apparently with the child on board. The child was not discovered until six hours later, when the driver returned to begin the afternoon bus route at 1:30 p.m.

Officials have been tight-lipped about the incident since, never providing details about the child – including the age or school the child attended – or the district’s investigation into how the child could have been left on the bus.

On March 27, The State filed a Freedom of Information Act request for video from the school bus and any report or paperwork filed in the aftermath of May 19 incident.

Hill responded on April 3 that the district was “working on the information.” On April 9, Hill told The State there no video camera on the bus because it was a substitute bus.

This week, Hill responded: “I don’t have any documents yet. I have asked. The district is not refusing to answer the questions but merely waiting on legal.”

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service