Columbia Fire Department respond to Olympia house fire and save more than just the house

hcahill@thestate.comJune 26, 2014 

Columbia firefighters responding to a fire in the Olympia neighborhood Wednesday found more than just a house that needed saving.

Inside, firefighters found a cat that was unresponsive. Firefighters began chest compressions on the cat and administered oxygen using a donated Wagn’N O2 Fur Life pet oxygen kit.

After several minutes, the cat regained consciousness. Firefighters cared for the cat until Columbia Animal Services took custody and found its owner.

A news release from the Columbia Fire Department said the cat, named Soldier, is still recovering.

The pet oxygen kit contains a specially designed animal oxygen mask and other materials that help firefighters when they encounter conscious and unconscious animals.

Brick Lewis, a Fire Department spokesman, said the Tryon Street fire was started by a shortage in an electrical strip. The home’s occupants were not in the house at the time of the fire.

The blaze caused $11,000 in damage, Lewis said.

Reach Cahill at (803) 771-8305

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service