CPD: Fourth woman arrested in connection with Magnolia Street shooting

hcahill@thestate.com and mlucas@thestate.comJuly 16, 2014 

The Columbia Police Department has arrested a fourth woman accused of helping two brothers charged with murder and attempted murder in connection with a deadly shooting that happened over the weekend.

Jennifer Timmons, a Police Department spokesperson, said Taniqua Briante Goodwin-Weeks, 18, has been charged with two counts of hindering officer/harboring a fugitive.

Timmons said Goodwin-Weeks is alleged to have lied to police officers about knowing the whereabouts of Horace Watts and Malik Davis, the two suspects charged with murder and attempted murder in a shooting that happened over the weekend.

Goodwin-Weeks is also accused of lying about having any contact with the suspects, Timmons said.

Three other women were also arrested in connection with the murder. Kadishia Grosier, 20, Destiny Meshell Elizabeth Gibson, 18, and Quiera Latara Durham, 23, were arrested Tuesday and charged with two counts of hindering an officer/harboring a fugitive in connection with the shooting.

Timmons said in a press release the three women were arrested at 901 Colleton Street, off North Main Street, the same location that Horace Watts and Malik Davis were hiding.

The women are currently being held at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

Watts, 22, and Davis, 17, were arrested around 6 p.m. Monday when the police officers found the brothers hiding in a bedroom in a Colleton Street apartment.

Arrest warrants were issued for the brothers after a shooting occurred when a large party gathered at the 2700 block of Magnolia Street a little before 9 p.m. on Saturday night.

Police Chief Skip Holbrook said Sunday that Davis got into a verbal and physical altercation with another man before leaving the area. Davis and Watts were accused of returning to the area armed with handguns.

Davis and Watts fired several gunshots into the crowd striking two male victims then fled on foot after the shooting.

Both victims were taken to the hospital where one of the victims, identified Monday as Issac Lewis, 47, was pronounced dead. The other victim is still recovering from his injuries.

Holbrook said Sunday that Davis and Watts would be charged with murder and attempted murder among other charges.

The two were scheduled to be taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center as of Monday night.

A photo of Kadishia Grosier was not immediately available.

The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service