Five reasons why you should attend the South Carolina Cornbread Festival:
1. You love hot, fresh cornbread but you don’t want to make it. “We’ll have 10 different types of cornbread for sale, including gluten-free, jalapeno and pulled pork,” notes marketing chairwoman Andelyn D. Rodriguez, who admits to being partial to the crackling-studded variety. If you want to gorge on corn bread guilt-free, participate in the 5K walk-run at 5:30 a.m., which ends at the festival.
2. The event’s pageant winners will be on hand, including Ms. Golden Cornbread, Jean Hopkins, who, even in her eighth decade, steals the show.
3. There are dozens of activities for kids, including face-painting, rides, a petting zoo and video games. On the children’s stage they can watch everything from music groups to a drumline and dancers, a magician and a jump-rope team. And kids under 12 get in free!
4. The entertainment will be fabulous. “We’ve got several bands, including the Mobros, the Swingin’ Medallions, the Finesse Band, the Fantastic Shakers, Orquesta MaCuba and the Root Doctors,” says Rodriguez. “We’re also having a cornbread-eating contest, a classic car show, line dancing and a dunking booth for the mayor.” On top of all that, the emcee for the day is South Carolina comedian Timmy Tim.
5. The event supports the North Columbia Business Association. You can also drop off food for Harvest Hope.
The S.C. Cornbread Festival will be held Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at 2800 Main Street (at Newman), Columbia. Tickets are $5, children 12 and under are free. Details: sccornbreadfestival.com
Katie McElveen, Special to The State