A funny thing happened to an intentionally campy film. It got popular. Here’s a primer on “Sharknado,” which gets its second big screen showing at Regal Columbiana Stadium 14 and Regal Sandhill Stadium 16 at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
• 1. “Sharknado” debuted on July 11, 2013 on the Syfy cable channel, which shows original schlocky films on Saturday nights, such as “Dinoshark” and “Sharktopus.”
Never miss a local story.
• 2. The premise: a freak hurricane over the Pacific spawns waterspouts that move inland toward Los Angeles. It then rains sharks.
• 3. Enter Twitter. The movie, which was only seen by a million people in its initial showing, gained traction after hilarious tweets were shared about the movie.
• 4. The social media buzz was so buzzy that SyFy repeated airing the movie and announced a sequel, “Sharknado 2: The Second One,” which will debut July 30.
• 5. Tuesday’s live screening will be accompanied by a snarky commentary track by the folks who used to make fun of science fiction films on “Mystery Science 3000.”