On Thursday, July 31, Pets, Inc, a nonprofit animal shelter, will hold Rescue Rendezvous to raise money for their operations. The family-friendly event will offer pinata busting, face painting, crafts and movies for children; adults can bid on silent auction items that include artwork, sports equipment, dog training, gift baskets and electronics. Everyone will be able to dig in to Chef JR Guffey’s famous shrimp and grits (as well as other treats) and dance to tunes by DJ Goldfinger.
Columbia has a number of animal welfare organizations; here are five things you might not have known about Pets, Inc.
1. They’re a no-kill shelter, rescuing strays and abandoned pets as well as dogs and cats from other shelters.
2. On Aug. 2, 9 and 16 the shelter will offer discounted vaccinations for dogs and cats.
3. If you’re not ready to adopt, you can still help homeless animals by providing a foster home.
4. When you take home your new pet, you can purchase all the supplies you’ll need to get started – high-quality food, a collar, a leash, toys and a bed – at the shelter’s on-site shop.
5. You can support Pets, Inc. by shopping at the organization’s thrift store. “Thrift Avenue is actually more like somebody’s attic than a thrift store,” says volunteer coordinator Rachel Miller. “Right now there’s an old Singer sewing machine that folds under the table, some cool old hats with feathers and pieces of vintage art.”
Rescue Rendezvous will be held from 5-10 p.m. Thursday at 701 Whaley. tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for children over 5. For more information, visit petsinc.org