Laughing isn’t just fun. It’s actually good for you. Consider these facts:
1. By increasing endorphin levels (that’s the feel-good hormone), laughter can serve as a natural painkiller.
2. Because a hearty laugh can dilate blood vessels (which allows blood to flow through them more easily), laughter can help lower blood pressure.
3. It’s estimated that one good belly laugh burns about 35 calories.
4. Laughter is said to improve alertness, creativity and memory.
5. A good belly laugh exercises your diaphragm, contracts your abs and works your shoulders. Laughing 100 times is comparable to 10 minutes on a rowing machine or 15 minutes on an exercise bike.
6. Almost instantly, laughter improves your mood while also relieving stress, anxiety and fear.
7. Some studies have shown that humor may raise the level of infection-fighting antibodies in the body and boost the levels of immune cells.
Looking for something to laugh about? On Thursday, as part of its adults-only After Dark series, EdVenture Children’s Museum presents the comedy of Soda City Stand Up with Wayne Cousins, Jenn Snyder, Topher Riddle and Joe Coughlin. The group performs regularly at River Rat Brewery and The Red Door.
EdVenture After Dark benefits the museum’s Yes, Every Child initiative, which offers underserved families the opportunity to have the EdVenture experience.
EdVenture After Dark runs from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 per person and include snacks and two drinks. For more information, visit edventure.org.