Get lots of laughs and help raise money
08/21/2014 12:00 AM
08/20/2014 11:31 PM
Laughing isn’t just fun. It’s actually good for you. Consider these facts:
1. By increasing endorphin levels (that’s the feel-good hormone), laughter can serve as a natural painkiller.
2. Because a hearty laugh can dilate blood vessels (which allows blood to flow through them more easily), laughter can help lower blood pressure.
3. It’s estimated that one good belly laugh burns about 35 calories.
4. Laughter is said to improve alertness, creativity and memory.
5. A good belly laugh exercises your diaphragm, contracts your abs and works your shoulders. Laughing 100 times is comparable to 10 minutes on a rowing machine or 15 minutes on an exercise bike.
6. Almost instantly, laughter improves your mood while also relieving stress, anxiety and fear.
7. Some studies have shown that humor may raise the level of infection-fighting antibodies in the body and boost the levels of immune cells.
Looking for something to laugh about? On Thursday, as part of its adults-only After Dark series, EdVenture Children’s Museum presents the comedy of Soda City Stand Up with Wayne Cousins, Jenn Snyder, Topher Riddle and Joe Coughlin. The group performs regularly at River Rat Brewery and The Red Door.
EdVenture After Dark benefits the museum’s Yes, Every Child initiative, which offers underserved families the opportunity to have the EdVenture experience.
EdVenture After Dark runs from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 per person and include snacks and two drinks. For more information, visit edventure.org.
Katie McElveen, Special to The State
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.