We want your blood!
Dracula isn’t the only one who wants your blood.
In honor of the bloodiest of holidays, the American Red Cross and Fox 102.3 invite red-blooded ghosts, ghouls and goblins to “Fright for Life”, a Halloween-themed blood drive.
“Donating blood is particularly important going into the holiday season,” says Fox 102.3 program director Paul Cannell. “On behalf of Fox 102.3 and Alpha Media, we’re asking everyone to step up and help us help the Red Cross.”
Don’t know much about blood? Here are a few factoids:
• About 7 percent of a person’s body weight is made up of blood
• Bosco chocolate syrup was used for the blood in the famous shower scene in the 1960 Alfred Hitchcock movie “Psycho.”
• An individual blood cell takes less than a minute to make a complete circuit of the body
• A newborn baby has about a cup of blood in his or her body
• A bruise occurs when a blood vessel or vessels are broken under the skin and the blood empties into the tissue but doesn’t leave the body
• Invertebrates like coral, jelly fish and flat worms do not have blood because they are able to absorb nutrients and move gases and wastes directly to the outside of their bodies.
• Blood comes in other colors. Earthworms, leeches, and insects have green blood. Starfish and many other invertebrates have clear or yellowish blood. Lobsters and crabs have blue blood because it contains copper instead of iron.
Fright for Life will take place from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the American Red Cross Columbia Blood Donation Center at 2751 Bull St. The first 102 donors will receive a Fright for Life T-shirt, food and giveaways will be available to donors all day. For more information, visit redcrossblood.org.
Find more to do in our new events calendar at events.thestate.com
Katie McElveen, Special to The State