1. THE LOST SYMBOL, by Dan Brown. (Doubleday, $29.95) Robert Langdon among the Masons.
2. I, ALEX CROSS, by James Patterson. (Little, Brown, $27.99) Tracking the murderer of a relative, Alex Cross discovers a wild Washington scene with explosive secrets.
3. UNDER THE DOME, by Stephen King. (Scribner, $35) When a Maine town is trapped by an invisible force field, a sanctimonious and hypocritical politician takes over.
4. THE HELP, by Kathryn Stockett. (Amy Einhorn/Putnam, $24.95) A young white woman and two black maids in 1960s Mississippi.
5. PIRATE LATITUDES, by Michael Crichton. (Harper/HarperCollins, $27.99) In the 17th-century Caribbean, a British pirate attacks a Spanish galleon; this manuscript was found in Crichton's files after his death in 2008.
6. FORD COUNTY, by John Grisham. (Doubleday, $24) Stories set in rural Mississippi.
7. U IS FOR UNDERTOW, by Sue Grafton. (Putnam, $27.95) Kinsey Millhone investigates the case of a 4-year-old girl who disappeared 21 years earlier.
8. THE LAST SONG, by Nicholas Sparks. (Grand Central, $24.99) A 17-year-old girl spends the summer with her divorced father in North Carolina.
9. THE CHRISTMAS SWEATER, by Glenn Beck with Kevin Balfe and Jason Wright. (Threshold Editions, $19.99) A boy learns from his disappointment with his mother's gift.
10. BREATHLESS, by Dean Koontz. (Bantam, $28) Mysterious animals in the Colorado Rockies set off intrigue and suspense.
1. GOING ROGUE, by Sarah Palin. (Harper/HarperCollins, $28.99)
2. HAVE A LITTLE FAITH, by Mitch Albom. (Hyperion, $23.99)
3. ARGUING WITH IDIOTS, written and edited by Glenn Beck, Kevin Balfe and others. (Mercury Radio Arts/Threshold Editions, $29.99)
4. TRUE COMPASS, by Edward M. Kennedy. (Twelve, $35)
5. OPEN, by Andre Agassi. (Knopf, $28.95)
6. SUPERFREAKONOMICS, by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. (Morrow/HarperCollins, $29.99)
7. WHAT THE DOG SAW, by Malcolm Gladwell. (Little, Brown, $27.99)
8. STONES INTO SCHOOLS, by Greg Mortenson. (Viking, $26.95)
9. OUTLIERS, by Malcolm Gladwell. (Little, Brown, $27.99)
10. THE IMPERIAL CRUISE, by James Bradley. (Little, Brown, $29.99)
1. DEAR JOHN, by Nicholas Sparks. (Grand Central, $7.99)
2. THE ASSOCIATE, by John Grisham. (Dell, $9.99)
3. THE LOVELY BONES, by Alice Sebold. (Little, Brown, $7.99)
4. CROSS COUNTRY, by James Patterson. (Vision, $9.99)
5. ARCTIC DRIFT, by Clive Cussler and Dirk Cussler. (Berkley, $9.99)
6. THE ROAD, by Cormac McCarthy. (Vintage, $7.99)
7. 7TH HEAVEN, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. (Vision, $7.99)
8. WORTH THE RISK, by Nora Roberts. (Silhouette, $7.99)
9. DEAD UNTIL DARK, by Charlaine Harris. (Ace, $7.99)
10. THE CHARLEMAGNE PURSUIT, by Steve Berry. (Ballantine, $9.99)
- New York Times News Service