Local merchants have a divine way to usher in the holiday season.
Devine Night Out, a shopping event with lots of perks, begins at 5 p.m. Thursday.
Stores and businesses on Devine Street stay open to offer specials and complimentary refreshments and music during this three-hour adult event.
“This is a kick-off to the holiday season,” said Jennifer Suber, marketing coordinator for Devine Street Association. “We’re hoping to get everyone out to start a safe and enjoyable season.”
Again, it’s an adult event. “Our tag line is ‘Grab a friend, book the sitter’,” Suber said. “It’s geared to be a social and shopping event for adults.”
This is the second year the event has been held in November, rather than December.
“In December, we felt like we were in the midst of all the craziness,” Suber said. “We wanted to separate ourselves.”
Suber said “almost everyone will have a sale,” and here is a sampling of things merchants are offering in addition to sales. For a complete list go to www.devinestreetcolumbiasc.com
▪ Best Mattress will have live music and hors d’oeuvres from Gourmet Shop and DiPrato’s.
▪ Bohemian Home will have wine tasting.
▪ Brittons will offer “delicious delicacies.”
▪ Chapell Smith & Arden, P.A. is offering complimentary rides up and down Devine Street to Devine Night Out guests.
▪ The Crescent Olive has Spotted Salamander catering, Sallie’s Greatest simple syrups and jam samples and Cloister Honey samples.
▪ Devine Eyes has a Gucci Trunk show, food, wine and a “Devine Experience” raffle.
▪ Incarnation Lutheran Church has the Columbia Choral Society and free coffee, cider and sweet treats.
▪ Southern Pottery has samples of Diane Gilbert’s homegrown hot sauces.
▪ Strictly Running has free yoga.
But the Devine night isn’t over when the shops close. Henry’s Restaurant and Bar is hosting a free after party from 8-10 p.m. with food, drinks, a live band and door prizes.